1. Purchase foods from shops which are certified food authority and are clean and hygienic .
· 2. Avoid those that carry offensive smell.
· 3. Do not purchase foods whose colour have changed .
· 4. Never purchase it if it shows molds and mildew.
· 5. Items that should be firm must not be bought if soft.
· 6. If a canned food tin bulges it should not be used.
· 7. Expiration dates on packages signify possible contamination do not buy.
· 8. When purchasing refrigerated food along with other things pick them up last
· 9. As much as possible do not buy food items stored on the ground ,near open drains, or beside garbage bins .
Food safety tips for Storage of food · 1. If your freezer needs cleaning remove some of the ice and store the frozen goods while you clean it. · · 2. Store all other foodstuff away from insects and rodents; remember dry goods must be stored In a cool dry place to discourage molds. Items such as flour ,cornmeal,sugar , they can be stored in covered containers .There are some fancy canister sets in the stores. · · 3. This is a busy and fast moving generation and so many families do a lot of pre-preparation of dinners and refrigerate them. If this is your style, make sure they are all covered since this is the fastest way to cross contaminate food. · · 4. Chemicals such as bleach, insect spray cleaning agent fuel like kerosene should never be store in the same place as food · . · 5. Do not forget to store away groceries and harmful chemical s from children and pets. · · Food safety tips in preparation Bacteria especially the deadly strains of the salmonella bacteria are sometime found in foods because of unhygienic practices used during its preparation. Remember to follow these simple tips · 1. Wash hands with soap before preparing meals especially after visiting the bath room · · 2. Wash in salt water ,if you use any form of soap on any form of to wash vegetables, remember to rinse very well with clean running water. · · 3. Keep hands away from body parts when handling food. · · 4. If you have the flu it is best not to prepare food especially for large gatherings. · · 5. High risk foods like milk ,yogurt, cheese mayonnaise should not be left outside for long periods-maximum two hours. · · 6. Package meat and fish in amounts needed for one preparation so that foods are not thawed and returned to the freezer as this multiplies bacteria. · · 7. It is best to thaw food in the refrigerator or finish thawing as part of the cooking process. · · 8. Do not use the same cutting board to prepare raw fish and meats for chopping vegetables for raw salads. · · 9. Have mesh to cover food so that flies do not contaminate food.
· 10. When preparing meat make sure to cook pork very well to completely destroy the work associated with it which folds into a ball during the cooking process and open and become active in the stomach if not properly cooked never serve or eat pork rear.