Motors are most common electrical equipment for any manufacturing unit. Motor ratings
can vary from 0.5 hp to 250 hp in most of industry . Here are few tips to save energy on
motors. Energy savings in motors is very high.For results each motors loads and
application is recorded and analysis done for savings.
- Maintain voltage levels for supply given to motors . Voltage should be near to the
value mentioned on the motor rating, max tolerance for voltage could be between
3- 5%.These voltage fluctuation results reduced effeciency of the motors.
- Eleminate improper cabling
- Check alignment
- Use synchronous motor to improve power factor .
- Provide proper ventilation .
- Maintain high power factor as lower power factor reduce s the motor efficiency and
also reduces the efficiency of electrical distribution .Lower power factor results when
motors of plant runs below the full load ratings.
- Select efficient transformers preferrably step down transformers
- Have controls which stops motors which are running idle
- Replace motors with new motors before it fails .
- Buy Energy efficient motors .
After loading each machine its recommended to disconnect all idle machine which are
not in use .It is observed that few machine which are not in use are left runnning which
results in wastage of power
- Use VFD S wherever posiible for varying load eg compressors, blowers /fans etc
- Replace v belt drives with geared motors and flat belt
- Use synthetic lubricants for large gear boxes
Download motor energy savings report from Siemens
ENERGY SAVINGS IN MOTOR